Quick note for new members!

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Quick note for new members!

Post by KellyMargelony on Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:29 pm

Hello everyone! I am happy you have found this site. We welcome you all to join our community Smile

Anyone that signs up to join the group must also post a quick introduction here (i.e. your name, language pair, etc.). This needs to be done before I can approve your membership. I am sorry if this seems odd, but trust me in that this is to truly prevent unwanted "visitors" to the site that may not have our best interests in mind.

Other than that, my only "rule" is that everyone treat each other with respect.

-Kelly
KellyMargelony
Admin

http://translatorchat.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Introduction

Post by Wurstblume123 on Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:22 am

Hello,
My name is Jens and the username I wanted was taken (by myself when I did the registration, I guess) so I added some numbers behind it. I am a German living in Japan and translate English to German as well as Japanese to German.
I joined this forum because I was, well, curious.

Hope that is enough introduction, as I don't like to put too McJob information online Wink

Wurstblume123

Back to top Go down

Post by Wurstblume124 on Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:24 am

*too much information about myself...
Curse you, autocorrect. This is why I don't translate on my phone..

Wurstblume124

Back to top Go down

Re: Quick note for new members!

Post by cristiana1 on Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:30 am

Hi Kelly and Jens (so far), I'm Cristiana from Bucharest, Romania. Former lawyer, current translator, hopefully future wealthy landlord Razz

See you around,

cristiana1

Back to top Go down

Hello from Paris

Post by nstewart on Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:59 am

Hello all, and thank you Kelly for this initiative.

I am Nathalie Stewart, EN>FR, FR>EN, RU>EN and RU>FR translator with 20+ years working half in translation project management, half as a freelancer, mainly in the legal and medical fields. I have traveled around a lot and have never had the opportunity to properly set up my own business, something I still hope to do in the foreseeable future. Currently settled in Paris, France. My latest client - for better or for worse - is OHT, where I have translated 580,865 words since 2014. In view of recent developments there, I would love to join this Forum instead and make a fresh start with respectful and professional people who are interested in discussing real translation questions!

Looking forward to meeting you all.

nstewart

Back to top Go down

Introduction

Post by NikiPapp on Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:19 am

Hi everyone!

I am a qualified English and German to Hungarian translator. I am very glad to be here. Hope, we will have lots of useful discussion.

NikiPapp

Back to top Go down

Post by samy_l on Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:36 am

I already posted an introduction on another thread, so here it is again:

My name is Samy, I joined OHT in 2014 and I work in EN>FR and DE>FR. A good part of my income comes from OHT so I am quite concerned by the new editing system, not to mention those awful, crazy bans.
I have not taken any editing project so far and don't think I ever will. I am not willing to work on any translation-to-be-edited either.

Looking forward to exchanging more freely with you all here!

Samy
samy_l

Back to top Go down

Post by KellyMargelony on Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:37 am

Welcome everyone!! NikiPapp, I never got a registration from you! Did you send one over?

KellyMargelony
Admin

http://translatorchat.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay-Viktor on Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:50 am

Hi all,

my full name is Kay-Viktor Stegemann, I am "stegemann" in the OHT forums. I am 54 years old and I am originally a software developer, but in the course of the last ten years or so I did more and more translation work, software localisation and game localisation first but today nearly any kind of translation from EN to DE. In 2016 I started to translate novels as well (I have a website for this but right now I cannot post links here, it's all so new, including me Smile).

I am working mostly for agencies, direct clients are extremely rare, since I don't advertise. Obviously I am interested in learning about good agencies and ranting about bad ones Smile
Kay-Viktor

Back to top Go down

Post by canalgi on Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:26 am

Hello all,

I am Gisele Latour, EN>FR freelance translator since 2009, member of the SFT and "Certified Pro" on ProZ.com.
I live in France near Toulon on the seaside. I joined OHT in October 2009, they were my first translation agency. I've translated 8845 projects/2,121,007 words for them so far with an internal rating of 5.0/5 and an average rating of 9.84.
You may know I was recently banned from their forum - who knows why - I retrieved my access rights 2 days later after complaining. I was reluctant at joining this new forum at first for security reason. Finally, here am I, looking forward to discuss freely and professionally with my peers without being scrutinized.

canalgi

http://canalgitranslations.com

Back to top Go down

Post by tigrao on Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:34 am

Hi, Gisele, welcome onboard.

I know you for much time, and I'm glad to see you here. I think you're #1 there in a very strong pair, and I'm realizing that your sole (true) phrase over there shows how discretionary they can be, as well as with other peers. Surprising!

I also have my concerns about privacy here, as I'm not banned but this link is over there - at least they can't ban us here, only spy if they have the time to.

But I'm very sad of cases of banning from the whole platform, as with Walter - I didn't talk with him yet about it, it was very strange.

Hope we'll have greater opportunity to exchange freely here, thanks to Kelly's efforts!

Hugs 4all of u!

tigrao

Back to top Go down

Post by canalgi on Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:15 am

Hi tigrao (sorry, I don't remember your firstname),

Thank you, nice to meet you here. Things are getting worse and worse (new bonus system), 24 editing projects left in my pair since 08/31 (!!) that I don't take, except yesterday for a client whom I'm exclusive, I think we are 2 or 3 and I'm # 1. I usually let the translation to my peer who does an excellent work and I take the proofreading. Bam! now it's an Editing project. Here what I got at the end: 2801 words (Credits: 1808.5- Final, after correcting 10 sentences). There were some mistakes indeed, mainly stylistic and punctuation. The translation was pretty good but I did my job as a common proofreading/proofchecking job. I even removed some of my changes from the editing report to avoid stealing too much money from my peer and uploaded the Word document with all my track changes. Earning money from an excellent translator is a shame, never I've seen such a system elsewhere. I experienced a similar case some time ago with another agency when the initial translation was so bad that, after investigation, they reduced the translator's earning.
What could I do? Stylistic mistakes are subjective, the French punctuation is a nightmare. So what? May be I should have asked OHT to revert the project to the former proofreading scheme otherwise I wouldn't take this editing project. Don't know.
By the way, I'm not number 1 in my pair. I'm number 3 according to my relative rank.

Take care,
Gisele

canalgi

Back to top Go down

Post by tigrao on Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:24 am

My first name is Roberto.

That's how things are going over there, and who complains, BAM!

To me, proofreading (aka now known as 'editing') I'm out... only waiting for proof of outsiders, if they will even appear...
And today we have another surprise: bonus now are monthly, "if you don't have any quality issues over the last month"...

Who knows what this mean?

About your ranking I only know that Antoine is among them, but rather quiet... The other one I don't remember well.

Take care also!

tigrao

Back to top Go down

Post by onisuka0 on Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:37 am

canalgi wrote:Hi tigrao (sorry, I don't remember your firstname),

Thank you, nice to meet you here. Things are getting worse and worse (new bonus system), 24 editing projects left in my pair since 08/31 (!!) that I don't take, except yesterday for a client whom I'm exclusive, I think we are 2 or 3 and I'm # 1. I usually let the translation to my peer who does an excellent work and I take the proofreading. Bam! now it's an Editing project. Here what I got at the end: 2801 words (Credits: 1808.5- Final, after correcting 10 sentences). There were some mistakes indeed, mainly stylistic and punctuation. The translation was pretty good but I did my job as a common proofreading/proofchecking job. I even removed some of my changes from the editing report to avoid stealing too much money from my peer and uploaded the Word document with all my track changes. Earning money from an excellent translator is a shame, never I've seen such a system elsewhere. I experienced a similar case some time ago with another agency when the initial translation was so bad that, after investigation, they reduced the translator's earning.
What could I do? Stylistic mistakes are subjective, the French punctuation is a nightmare. So what? May be I should have asked OHT to revert the project to the former proofreading scheme otherwise I wouldn't take this editing project. Don't know.
By the way, I'm not number 1 in my pair. I'm number 3 according to my relative rank.

Take care,
Gisele

Hello canalgi, I think (I'm sure) I'm the peer you're talking about, glad to know who I owe these corrections to, even though I didn't get the updated versions of the edited sentences

Last edited by onisuka0 on Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:39 am; edited 1 time in total

onisuka0

Back to top Go down

Post by canalgi on Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:55 am

Wow onisuka, I thought you were Japanese. What's your firstname?
Nice to meet you. Glad you understood my concerns for me being a theft.
Your translation was really good, just missing some "French touch", to my opinion.

Best wishes.

canalgi

Back to top Go down

Post by onisuka0 on Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:05 am

My name's Hugo, I started working on OHt 5 months ago, I work with other agencies and to date I still think they are the best so far: more than fair amount of jobs, decent rates, good screening system, responsive support team, though now I'm a bit worried about the future, given the recent events

canalgi wrote:, just missing some "French touch", to my opinion.

To me this is the worst aspect of the new editing system, aside from cuts in rewards, you know which sentences were edited, but you get no report from the editor which could help a lot in improving future translations

onisuka0

Back to top Go down

Post by canalgi on Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:15 am

Hugo, didn't you get my report? That was my first Editing project and probably the last one.
May be you have to wait a while.
When you get it, please feel free to contact me by email (click on my website for information contact) and we'll discuss this damned French touch.
And you are so right. It's the worst aspect of the new editing system, SUBJECTIVE AMENDS when the translator is good!!

canalgi

Back to top Go down

Post by onisuka0 on Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:27 am

No, I only know which sentences were amended, but I don't know why (I understood some of them of course)

onisuka0

Back to top Go down

Post by canalgi on Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:33 am

Hugo, I'm sending you a private message.

canalgi

Back to top Go down

Post by nstewart on Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:41 am

onisuka0 wrote:
decent rates, good screening system, responsive support team

Are you serious?! Sorry for being direct, but...!!!

nstewart

Back to top Go down

Post by onisuka0 on Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:22 pm

In comparison to the other agencies I work for (e.g. the one which pays you $0.03/word  or the one which is unable to run its webste properly)

onisuka0

Back to top Go down

Post by Ekan111 on Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:43 pm

Hi everybody,

Ekan here (had to post under different username as account is still inactive)
En -> Sv translator. Some might have seen me on the OHT forum where I am no longer allowed for reasons unknown (or, very well known, but OHT refuses to provide me with an explanation). Thus I was very intrigued to find out about this place! Currently trying to do as little work as possible for OHT, only good thing about their recent actions is that it finally made me start to go out and find new clients, I've been pretty content with the state of things before, time for a change now though.

/Erik J

Ekan111

Back to top Go down

Post by sampada.n on Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:49 pm

Hi Kelly,

Thanks for your initative!

I hope every member finds this place interesting.

I am a translator in En<>Mr pair.

I am into translation because I love my mothertongue!

There is very less work in my pair. Fortunately, I do not depend upon translation work for a living. Therefore, translating can be a fun for me!!

Warm regards to you & to all fellow members Very Happy

- Sampada

sampada.n

Back to top Go down

Post by Aafke on Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:37 am

Hi there and thank you Kelly for setting up this forum.

My name is Aafke and I translate from English into Dutch. I've been around the OHT platform since 2011 and I started translating full time since 2012, when I moved to Medellín, Colombia, to live with my love.

I am currently also setting up a yoga studio to teach Hot Yoga, so these are exciting times on a personal level. I haven't been too active on the 'official' forum, especially after one of my peers Joëlle was banned from the forum, but I actively encourage this fear-free space to discuss various topics. Keep up the good work and nice to meet you all!
Aafke

Back to top Go down

Post by canalgi on Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:55 pm

Welcome aboard Aafke and congrats on your yoga studio.
I've just started taking some Pilates course, wonderful!
Best wishes,
Gisele

canalgi

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top